History Langley is an Anglo-Saxon name, meaning 'a long clearing in woodland'. This is not to say that the area was entirely uninhabited before the Saxons arrived. In earlier times there had been Iron Age settlements and evidence of Roman farming. Part of a Roman road still survives as a path along the parish boundary between Clavering and Langley, and beside it a Romano-British burial mound excavated in the 19th century.
About LANGLEY, a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; adjacent to Herts, 5Â½ miles W by N of Newport r. station, and 7 W SW of Saffron-Walden. Post-town, Clavering, under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 1,617. Real property, Â£1,508. Pop., 410. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clavering, in the diocese of Rochester. A chapel was here in the time of Henry II.; and the parish is sometimes regarded as a chapelry. The present church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, and charities Â£8
Cricket Club Although cricket, in one form or another, must have been played in Langley for many years previously, there is no recorded match until July 12, 1884. This, judging from the scorecard, was a very low scoring 2 innings defeat for Langley at Chrishall. Judging from subsequent records from those distant days extremely low scoring was the normal and its not difficult to work out why.
Murder On Sunday 13th January Samuel & Rebecca Law went to the house of Rebecca's mother for dinner, where apparently, according to the evidence given at the Assizes, Samuel read to Rebecca from the Bible. After that they went home and it was the last time Samuel was seen alive.